Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Winter Reflections

Perhaps because it is a rainy day, or maybe the reminder that I turn sixty this year. Maybe it is a return from a long stay with a daughter and a newborn granddaughter. But today has been filled with dreams and an imagined life not lived.

I spent the day pouring over cookbooks online--not just any cookbooks--but those that brought French cooking and the French people and countryside into my little house on a hill in small-town America. I could almost taste the truffles and butter! I made a list of those that sounded best--I love shopping on Amazon!

I poured a glass of lovely red wine--I have no idea what it is, actually, but it is Sicilian, with a deep red color, and a lovely label that reminds me of faraway places I would love to visit. I cooked some breakfast sausage on the gas range and have been savoring its delicious scent all afternoon. Not a bad way to spend a rainy day.

As I sip my lovely red wine, I am transported beyond this small world to the vast world beyond. I watched the news from France--again, thanks to the Internet--and felt gratitude for technology that can enfuse dreams with images, sounds, and information, making my world so much larger than my own little kitchen.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

There's nothing quite like spending an afternoon reading great cookbooks! (hopefully followed by an evening of cooking!).

It's never to late to enjoy new experiences. You taught me that! Thank you for giving me (and so many others!) such a great example of the kind of adventures we can enjoy in the second half of life's journey.